iMovie 10.1 for OS X El Capitan has added the option to edit 4K video. It however seems to break as many things with each release as it fixes. This post outlines some of the quirks with iMovie 10.1 as reference guide and for workarounds as they are found.
- Projects and Events now need different names. If you try to name a Project (Movie) the same name as an Event you end up with event “Movie” and Project “Movie 1”. This is due to Projects and Events sharing the same folder in the iMovie Contents so that the folder names need to be unique. The idiotic implementation however causes event “Holiday video 2015” to rename a matching Project name as “Holiday video 2016”!
- Cannot resize Library column on right of the Media view. Although the resize cursor appears when you roll over, it doesn’t work. The resize does work when you have a Project selected and the Library column will resize in that view only.
The Canon EF-S 17-85mm lens Err 01 flex cable issue developed with my Canon 50D. Spare flex cable ordered from Amazon (Chinese seller) and followed these instructions.
If you have installed Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro and the laptop screen is dim even at maximum brightness then you might be suffering from the Windows 8.1 “feature” of Adaptive Brightness (around since Windows 7). Disable this through Control Panel and you get your brightness back.
Apple although a global company has serious limitations and issues with those that know how to cross an international border!
In the age of jet travel and a globalised workforce there is something rather quaint (and annoying) about the assumption that you stay in a neat little national-bordered-box.
During the last 7 years I have worked a total of 4 years in Germany, 2 years in the UK and am now living in the USA. The Apple walled garden model is starting to break down for me.
The Apple Watch pricing has been announced at an Apple event. The Apple Watch Sport is the cheapest with aluminium cases. The Apple Watch is stainless Steel and a mainstream premium product while the Apple Watch Edition is made from 18-carat gold and costs from £8000.
- A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
- 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
- Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1
Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.
The iPad Air 2 is very much a nudge along the evolution from the iPad Air with very little to tell them apart. The performance is up and the weight is down with a fully laminated display reducing the bulk a little.
Having last bought an iPhone in 2010 with the launch of the iPhone 4, an upgrade to the iPhone 6 was overdue. Initially sceptical about the form factor shift and lacking telescopic thumbs I wondered if the screen was just too big. This had already ruled out the iPhone 6 Plus on size and I disliked the image scaling attempts.
If the iPhone & iPod touch Remotes option is greyed out under Settings | General | Remotes conduct the following troubleshooting:
1. Check all network settings including the iPhone and Apple TV are on the same subnet.
2. Have the Remote app running and open Settings then Add an iTunes Library to make sure that the Add Remote option changes to your device.
The iPad Air 2 is 6.1mm thick and has a Touch ID fingerprint scanner. It’s screen has up to 56% less glare than the iPad Air. CPU is 40% increase and GPU 2.5x that of the iPad Air.